Thursday 22 November 2012

scum and ranting


So recently, my neighbours, burst out of their house attacking their tenant. The intentions of my neighbour were, for whatever reason, to cause serious and permanent harm to his tenant. We saw the dog attacking him, we saw the neighbours wife slapping him and we saw the neighbours brother run off after him wearing a knuckle duster. For whatever reason they were very keen to teach their tenant a physical lesson.
Because we saw what happened we were asked to provide a statement. Being naïve we thought we were doing the right thing. Giving an honest statement of what we saw.
However, [can I get a rewind!] My neighbours have spent 6 years being general  shit heads. Passing racial slurs over the fence, partying throughout the summer with speakers outside broad casting thumping music to all, and smoking drugs openly. Forcing us to leave our house to get some peace and quiet. I’ve had my wheelie bin stolen by them, I have had eggs thrown at my house and my car has been bashed here and there, doubtless as to who has done it. Additionally their ‘tenant’ was a drug dealer. Used to invite his friends to use my parking space, on returning home would laugh when I asked them to move and throw the nastiest of verbal abuse in my direction in front of my young son. So I have no sympathy for any of these people. Scum they name is my neighbours.
Fast forwards a few weeks, it seemed that charges were to be pressed and we were asked if we would go to court. At which point due to worrying about any consequences once they linked us with someone testifying against them. So we retracted our statement. Sadly the police failed to pass this onto the CPS so we had to retract a second time. Didn’t matter either way as the CPS then summonsed us to court [and failure to show up would mean a warrant for our arrest would be issued … seriously. I have kept on the right side of the law my entire life, I do not keep the company of criminals. I just want to be left alone and now all of a sudden I risk facing a criminal record if I’m not prepared to endanger my family … BIG hole in the judicial system].
So off we went to court. It was almost comedic … the second we walked into the court my neighbours were sat right in front of us. We were shown to a discrete room [abit late now] and in walks the tenant who has been abusive over and over again to us. We gave our evidence and left only to find that as there was room for doubt the verdict was not guilty. Since then our fence has all of a sudden come down [the fense post has been split … possible through force]. I have a series of scratches on the side of my car and now appearing on my new £3500 decking is dog poo. We don’t have a dog. Our neighbours do.
So the lesson I have learnt. If you see a crime. Unless you have an over whelming jolt of empathy for the victim [ maybe if the victim is a child?] do not report it. It causes you so much stress, the police want ticks in boxes and are as subtle and attuned to your plight as an amoeba .. mistakes are made and ultimately if you won’t play ball you could easily gain a criminal record at best or become a voiceless victim yourself. Brilliant.
Since the court case ended, I’ve become a social networking sleuth … I’ve located the tenants facebook account and amongst the racial slurs and salutes to Raul Moats are threats to end the life of my neighbours. Dead man walking references. Lovely. And on the twitter account of my neighbours 18 year old pregnant daughter is a glimmer of hope. Their house has been on the market for 6 months, 7 weeks ago a SOLD sign appeared which has over the past few days been taken down. However, her status is ‘I cant wait to move into my new council flat in 3 days’ … so if she’s going one hopes they are going also.

Ps – I really really miss my son … I see him for less than 3 hours every day. From 6.45am till 7.45am. And then from 6-8pm. That’s all you get being a working mum to forge a close relationship with your kid. 

1 comment:

  1. I really hope they're off for good soon enough.
    You think you do the right thing by behaving correctly and living by the law in society and than things like this happens and you're just left wondering about the whole system.

    ReplyDelete